Welcome to the
Colonial Era 1500 - 1754
by Deborah Tewhey
Wentworth Intermediate School
Scarborough, Maine 04074
Please read the Introduction, Task and Process before beginning.
European nations came to the Americas to increase their wealth and broaden their influence over world affairs. The Spanish were among the first Europeans to explore the New World and the first to settle in what is now the United States. By 1650, however, England had established a dominant presence on the Atlantic coast. The first colony was founded at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607. Many of the people who settled in the New World came to escape religious persecution. The Pilgrims founders of Plymouth, Massachusetts, arrived in 1620. In both Virginia and Massachusetts, the colonists flourished with assistance from Native Americans.
1. Explore the resources at this site to gather information about Colonial times.
2. Print out the questions for the Webquest.
3. Answer the questions about the Colonial Era.
4. Complete the questions and turn in when finished.
1. You will be working with a partner on your webquest.
2. You will each need to record your own information sheets.
3. Please print a question sheet for each of you.
4. Read the information carefully.
5. If you would like to print a page in order to take notes on or to highlight information, go to File, Print, Properties, Print in gray scale, OK.
Revised April 2001
copyright 2001 All rights reserved.